Monday, June 11, 2012

Restful peace

Hope you've had a wonderful day.  Hope it was a peaceful day.  Speaking of peace, I just finished my bible reading for today & have to point out what I got out of it.  I'm reading Hebrews, 1 Kings & 2 Samuel.  No reason for my choice, I guess it was God's. I read Hebrews 4, 2 Samuel 7, and 1 Kings 5. In all of those chapters it mentions "rest in the Lord."  Not those exact words, but that is basically what it says. I started praying about the "rest" part,  "humm, Lord, what are you trying to say to me"?  2 Samuel 7:10-11 says "And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed.  Wicked people will not oppress them anymore, as they did at the beginning and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders over my people Israel. I will also give you rest from all your enemies. 1 Kings 5:4 says "But now the Lord my God has given me rest, and there is no adversary or disaster".  In Hebrews 4, the entire first part of the chapter is entitled "A Sabbath-Rest for the People of God" (verses 1-11) & that whole section talks mostly about the rest God has given us. Verse 9 says "There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience".  I think God is telling us that once we accept Jesus as our Savior we will be at peace and that peace will put us at rest. It will make us better people & easier to handle all the stuff (adversaries, disasters, enemies) that come into our lives on a daily, sometimes hourly basis.  Made sense to me anyway.

Be at rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment